Why study with us?
A transformative learning experience, our Foundations program was created for anyone interested in a meaningful exploration of aromatherapy and essential oils. Estheticians, yoga teachers, health practitioners, beauty entrepreneurs, massage therapists, psychotherapists and more—all are welcome. The program is interactive, comprehensive and lively—a guided journey into an intricate, beautiful world.
Level One Certification: Foundations of Aromatherapy
100 total hours of training; 40 LIVE classroom hours plus 30 hours of case study time and 30 hours of home study that includes expanded anatomy and physiology modules.
LMTs may receive 30 CEU hours of credit.
Coming from out of town? Don't know where to stay? Sign up for our Level One Certification course and get a discount when booking with The Standard Hotel!
Sundays in January and February 2018
January 28th + February 4th, 11th, 18th + 25th
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Monday through Friday
March 26th - March 30th
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Monday through Friday
May 14th - May 18th
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Payment plans are available with a non-refundable deposit. To start a payment plan, select the deposit option when purchasing the course. We are very flexible and want to help you obtain your certification!
Materials Included in Course Purchase
1. Student Materials Kit
2. Foundations of Aromatherapy Course Book: a 400+ page manual designed and written by Jade Shutes. See below for what the manual includes.
- The printed Course Book is included for all Live Streaming and In-Person registrations. The online Foundations Course through Aromaticstudies.com supplies a downloadable version.
- Includes the full materia medica profiles on 24 essential oils and a variety of carriers (fixed oils, herbal oils, hydrosols and other ingredients.)
- An extensive list of resources for quality products
- Information about various Aromatherapy organizations and journals.
Student Materials Kit
24 Essential Oils
- Clary Sage Salvia sclarea
- Roman Chamomile Chamaemelum nobile syn. Anthemis nobilis
- Cypress Cupressus sempervirens
- Eucalyptus Eucalyptus globulus
- Fennel Foeniculum vulgare
- Frankincense Boswellia carteii syn. thurifera
- Geranium Pelargonium graveolens
- Ginger Root, Fresh Zingiber officinale
- Grapefruit Citrus paradisi (pink or white)
- Helichrysum Helichrysum italicum
- Juniper Berry Juniperus recurva
- Laurel Leaf (Bay) Laurus nobilis
- Lavender Lavandula angustifolia
- Lemon Citrus limon
- Lemongrass Cymbopogon citratus
- Orange Citrus sinensis
- Patchouli Pogostemom cablin
- Peppermint Mentha x piperita
- Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis
- Scotch Pine - Pinus sylvestris
- Tangerine/Mandarin Citrus reticulata
- Tea Tree Melaleuca alternifolia
- Vetiver Vetiveria zizanoides
- Ylang Ylang Complete Cananga odorata
Base Ingredients | Carrier Oils | Hyrdosols
- Coconut Oil Cocos nucifera 2oz
- Apricot Kernel Oil Prunus armeniaca 2 oz
- Jojoba Oil Simmondsia chinensis 2oz
- Sunflower Seed Oil Helianthus annuus 2oz
- Sesame Seed Oil Sesamum indicum 2oz
- Varying Herbal Infused Oils 2 | 2oz bottles
- Beeswax pastilles Cera flava 4oz
- Shea Butter (Jar of raw or RBD) Vitellaria paradoxa 2oz
- Dead Sea Salt 4oz
- Varying Hydrosols 3 | 2oz bottles
- Clear Glass Jar 4 | 1oz
- Amber Glass Bottle 4 | 1oz
- Amber Glass Bottle with Orifice Reducer 4 | 5ml
- PET Plastic Spray Bottle 2 | 2oz
- PET Plastic Gel Bottle 2 | 2oz
- Inhaler 1 Pack of 4
- Pipettes 1 Pack of 10
- Tongue Depressor 1 Pack of 10
- 10 Bottle Labels
- 24 White Dot Labels
Do you want to purchase the Student Materials Kit without having to purchase the book or the course? You are now able to! This is a great way to get introduced to the aromatherapy, blending and formulating world from the comfort of your own home.
Types Of Aroma Products You Will Create
- Essential oil inhalers
- Bath salts
- Cream or Lotion
- Massage oil
- Salt scrubs
- Hydrosol or aromatic spritzer sprays
- Synergy for steam inhalation
In order to receive the New York Institute of Aromatherapy (The School for Aromatic Studies) certification, approved by NAHA, students must:
- Attend all live classes.
- Complete all modules in the Level One Certification program.
- Complete 5 case studies on family, friends, or existing and willing clients.
- Complete final exam (requested when ready to take).
- Send in final exam and 5 case studies.
- Take home study work.
- Passing grade of 70% or higher.
Abilities You Will Gain In The Course
- Discuss the history of aromatherapy and its modern development.
- Compare and contrast a true essential oil with a fragrance oil.
- Identify key elements in determining the quality of an essential oil.
- Understand and discuss methods of production and the various end products these methods produce.
- Identify the origins and purpose of an essence in a plant.
- Define what an essential oil is and how it is produced.
- Demonstrate knowledge of 24 essential oils, including Latin binomial, safety information, and key therapeutic and/or energetic properties of each individual essential oil.
- Understand current up-to-date information on safety and essential oils.
- Describe the basic physiology of the skin and its key functions.
- Design effective blends for basic skincare.
- Describe the basic anatomy & physiology of the sense of smell.
- Specify key parts of the limbic system and their function.
- Create aromatic blends of essential oils for emotional purposes.
- List and describe various methods of application techniques and delivery systems.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the chemistry of essential oils.
- Design aromatic blends for a range of common household ailments.
- Assess your needs for advanced education in aromatherapy.
- Develop clear career goals and a path to become an Aromatherapist.
- Aromatherapy Foundations: History of Modern Aromatherapy and Aromatic Medicine's Place in History.
- The Therapeutic and Energetic Properties of 24 Essential Oils
- Safety and contraindications
- Introduction to Aromatic Skincare
- Introduction to basic level anatomy and physiology
- Olfaction and Aroma Psychology
- Exploration of Various Methods of Application
- Blending Approaches, Techniques and Methodologies
- Aromatic Treatment Design and Implementation
- Basic Chemistry of Essential Oils
- Basic Case study for family, friends and existing healthcare professionals.
- Creating dynamic therapeutic aromatherapy products and/or organic body care lines
- Designing and creating botanical perfumes
- Establishing on-line website stores selling aromatic and herbal products
- Educating the public and healthcare practitioners about aromatherapy
- Writing articles for aromatherapy magazines, online publications and health magazines
- Integrating aromatherapy into an existing practice to enhance client health and wellness
Refund and Cancellation Policy
Once you register, $500 of your tuition is immediately processed as a non-refundable deposit to hold your place in the program If circumstances arise and you are no longer able to attend the course, you must notify us in writing 3 weeks prior to the course start date. You will then be issued a refund for a payment made towards the course total after the $500 deposit. No refunds within three weeks of the course start date.